Does any one have experience with Bio-film. The stuff that is being called biofilm is in our water system. It kind of looks like a brownish rust colored algae. How have you guys delt with it? It is said to be what is lowering the CL2 in our distribution everything is still safe to drink we have just noticed a decline in CL2.
Bio film within pipes is eventually quite common and not that worrying !
Bio-film in itself is not dangerous, but it can host bacterias and protect them from CL2.
Maybe you should bring up some precisions to your question :
The red coloration probably comes from steel pipes corrosion: could you mention whether your water is aggressive and what are the pipes' materials in your network ?
Are you regularly draining your network to evacuate all the minerals and organic matter that accumulate on the bottom of the pipes and favour the creation of biofilm.