Position: Technical Manager Location : Magway City / Magway Region / Myanmar Directly report to : Project Manager Under supervision : 1 technician
Type of job : Full time job
VSI contract or local contract Salary: Base salary 1300$/month + visa + accommodation + 1 A/R per year
ABOUT OUR PROJECT The 1001 Fountaines project has been acting as a non-profit social enterprise since 2007, supporting local communities to provide access to safe drinking water. We operate more than 200 sites (called water kiosks), delivering cheap and safe drinking water to over half a million beneficiaries, employing more than 600 local operators (Entrepreneurs), in Cambodia, Vietnam and Madagascar.
1001f has the ambition to reach one million beneficiaries by 2020, thanks to our partner Network Activities Group in Myanmar. NAG is a local organization, created in 2008, to respond to the disaster caused by Nargis cyclone. Its mission is to facilitates social and economic development through collaborative, community-driven projects focused on empowering communities, strengthening civil society and promoting good governance.
In Myanmar, the project aims to set-up 5 micro-decentralized water treatment stations, in rural communities in the Magway region. It is two years’ project, starting by January 2019.
PURPOSE The Technical Manager is responsible for designing, sourcing and installing the technical solution, with support of 1001f technical team. He / she will also be responsible for all of the technical activities in the water kiosks, ensuring appropriate technical maintenance and standards.
In order to carry out these responsibilities, the Technical Manager will have to travel frequently to the different areas where the project is operating.
He will be based in Magway and will report and work directly to the Project Manager.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Mission 1. Water treatment solution design
• Assess project feasibility by analyzing technology, required resources and demand
• With the support of external professionals, design a suitable Reverse Osmose technology
• With the support of external professionals, design solar energy supply
• Develop technical guidelines for production and maintenance
Mission 2. Site set-up
• Coordinate with suppliers the purchase of treatment systems and spare-parts
• Provide technical direction during the execution of the project (from the site selection to site opening and site operations)
• Consult local stakeholders to establish the site specifications
• Coordinate station construction and ensure building specifications are followed
• Coordinate water drilling activities, performed by external constructors
• Install the water pumping system, according to the well capacity and demands
• Install production equipment’s (unit treatment, energy supply, pre-treatment process...) according to the guidelines.
Mission 3. Technical assistance
• Train and coach project team to ensure technical maintenance and assistance to the local operators (Entrepreneurs)
• Allocate engineering resources to sites (kiosks) appropriately
• Check and control the maintenance of the equipment (by the Entrepreneur)
• Provide assessment including failure analysis and technical solutions when technical problems occur.
• Fix equipment according to technical maintenance processes
• Improve processes and enhancements to maximize quality standards
Mission 4. Water Quality control
• Test water quality with mobile laboratory
• Ensure all kiosks have 100% compliance with WHO safe drinking water standards
• Ensure water treatment, hygiene and sanitation standards are respected
Mission 5. Management
• Manage a team of 1 technician and supervise external contractors (building, suppliers, laboratories etc.)
• Organize regular practical training and evaluation of the technician, Entrepreneurs etc.
• Provide Technical and Water Quality reports and audits (on monthly and annual basics) to the Project Manager
QUALIFICATIONS & SELECTION CRITERIA
• Engineering degree with 5 years’ experience in technical / energy area - ideally with knowledge of Reverse Osmose water treatment technology.
• Knowledge of pumping technology
• Knowledge of the construction industry (E.g. understands design, drawings etc.)
• Knowledge of electronic/electrical components
• Knowledge of engineering drawings, specifications and materials
• Software: Proficient with MS Office, knowledge of Technical design software (AutoCad, Sketchup etc.),
Skills• Good practical skills, problem solving
• Attention to detail and high accuracy
• Experience in working in inter-cultural environment is a plus
• Good facilitation and liaison skills, especially with international people
• Ability to impart knowledge and technical issues to people with and without technical skills.
• Willing to travel and work in remote locations within local communities
• Be proactive and flexible ‘can do’ person
• Be respectful and transparent in dealing with others
• Be receptive to new ideas and innovations
• Ability to implement technical and water production aspects on-site at the kiosks
Applicants are invited to share a resume and cover letter to Amandine Chaussinand, Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Announcment available until January 15th 2019. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.